Is it time for Government to subsidise battery storage

As far as I am aware the only state that has a home battery power storage subsidy scheme Is South Australia 

Is it time for the commonwealth and other states to generate some interest in home battery storage subsidies 

I feel that by doing this, it will by sheer numbers reduce initial cost over time 

If that is coupled with an innovation grant scheme for research of future battery storage technology to help in reducing our greenhouse footprint from manufacture to end user 

My preferred battery system will have these core features 

1) High capacity 

2) Long Life with as little loss in efficiency over time 

3) Recyclable so the old system can be traded in for new at a lower cost 

4) Cause no harm 

I’m sure you will have more to add 

The first point of action to voice your opinion  is to contact your local members of all 3 tiers of government Local / State / Federal 
Then find a suitable lobby group and voice your opinion 

• Like 2

I've heard that we should be seeing a "new generation" of batteries arriving on the market for what would have been the end of this year, but at a guess that might be delayed because of COVID? I was also told that arrival would bring prices down and the possibility of more government grants/schemes. All rumours though. 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Full Range said:

Is it time for the commonwealth and other states to generate some interest in home battery storage subsidies

Totally agree.

I would go further and suggest the subsidy could be moved from panels / inverters towards batteries, and the power distribution companies should chip in as well.  Whilst panel / inverter subsidies have been great, we are at the point where underlying costs make them a sensible investment decision without subsidies.  And if the distribution companies continue to struggle (and not invest) in a network that that will embrace distributed generation, subsidise batteries to help maintain balance onthe use of the grid.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, gibbo9000 said:

Totally agree.

I would go further and suggest the subsidy could be moved from panels / inverters towards batteries, and the power distribution companies should chip in as well.  Whilst panel / inverter subsidies have been great, we are at the point where underlying costs make them a sensible investment decision without subsidies.  And if the distribution companies continue to struggle (and not invest) in a network that that will embrace distributed generation, subsidise batteries to help maintain balance onthe use of the grid.

Maintaining stability in the grid should be looked at as a free pass for the power generators 

With the right smart inverter connected to a solar / storage battery system this is achievable when critical mass is reached 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2020 at 12:16 PM, Full Range said:

My preferred battery system will have these core features 

1) High capacity 

2) Long Life with as little loss in efficiency over time 

3) Recyclable so the old system can be traded in for new at a lower cost 

4) Cause no harm 

For the cause no harm inclusion 

For some reason I have favoured - Salt water batteries