Regulations / Legalities of DIY Wind Turbines?

Yes, legal. Don't know much beyond that. I know you can claim STC's for Solar, Wind and Hydro. 

I looked at this a while ago, and the height you have to put these things to get non-turbulent air is quite surprising. Consequently, they are not really suitable for the old quarter acre block. I think councils generally frown upon them too.  

Edited by IXXI
Added height comment

IXXI is correct. Shame really.

Had a read of the bladeless.  That's a weird one. The description of how the vibrations exactly couple to the generator and produce electricity is very vague. Looks like a very big Moving Coil cartridge. (Hmm... wind generated music?)

The vertical fan concept itself has merit though. Again, councils frown upon Savonious/Darreous rotors in one's backyard (but ok if mounted on top of a council building). I'm surprised that more research has not been done on them. -One, to minimise the inherent mechanical drawbacks, and the other to minimise its footprint. I can't see why a stack of centrifugal fans can't be mounted on a common shaft (for increased surface area), and onto a F&P motor.

Please excuse my sarcasm/cynism. Lockdown having strange effects on my psyche.

A guy named Robert Murray-Smith has a cool channel on the you tube, in this episode he explains how this works, and builds a little one himself.

Cheers,

Jason.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• More info    Why buy a PowerCap®? If you’re looking to invest in a PowerCap® system you can expect: reduced or often $0 energy bills, blackout protection, Microgrid capability and grid independence.                 What is a PowerCap®? Researched, designed and developed in Australia, the PowerCap® energy storage carbon battery is like no other on the market today. The PowerCap® is a graphene supercapacitor and unlike its Lithium-ion counterparts, has a longer lifespan and superior efficiency. 
    • I came across this site recently and they claim it’s better than lithium  It’s developed in Australia  More info here  https://renewable.net.au/forum/12-energy-storage-discussion/?do=add   Residential Energy Generation Specializing in sustainable energy generation systems since 2012, our engineers are well equipped to supply even the most unusual homes with a custom renewable energy solution. When you make an inquiry with our service team, a professionally registered and/or chartered engineer is assigned to your project to ensure that you receive sound advice that is tried and tested. While the majority of our residential energy generation systems come in the form of solar PV, our team of dedicated renewable energy system installers consider a range of factors to ensure a truly custom solution to suit your needs. By using only the highest quality materials and construction methods specific to your energy needs we can guarantee long term, worry-free energy security. RESIDENTIAL Residential Energy Generation Residential Energy Storage Commercial Energy Generation Commercial Energy Storage Contact Us   Residential Energy Storage Zero Emissions Developments (ZED) is proud to announce it’s Behind-The-Meter® distributed energy solution for household energy security… the PowerCap®. As the price of unstable grid energy continues to rise, this technology has been designed to supply the daily energy needs of our residential clients to eliminate that stressful quarterly bill shock. This system not only stores energy sustainably, but it can also operate in ‘Virtual Power Plant’ (VPP) mode as a power bank to on-sell at peak tariff times. This industry-leading VPP functionality ultimately levels the grid network to increase your financial returns. By responding to grid fluctuations in a matter of milliseconds, the PowerCap® system operates 24/7 to support critical peak demand. The system is 100% recyclable and has a life-span up to 20 years longer than standard batteries. ZED’s mission is to make independent, secure energy accessible to all through Behind-The-Meter® renewable energy systems. Does a sustainably sourced energy bill at a fixed low price sound like something of interest? Contact us on the inquiry form below for a quote tailored to suit your needs.     POWERCAP® Charge time Cycle life Cell voltage 15 Minutes 1,000,000 2.3 to 2.75V Specific energy (Wh/kg) Specific power (W/kg) Service life (industrial) 75 (typical) Up to 10,000 25 years Charge temperature Discharge temperature -40 to 85°C -40 to 85°C
    • Analysis for September 2020   Daily Averages - Production: 40.6 kWh Consumption: 30.3 kWh Own Consumption: 15.8 kWh Export: 24.7 kWh Import: 14.4 kWh Cost: - $1.29 (ie. earned $1.29 per day) Yield: 4.7 kWh/kW   September was sunnier than predicted, as production was 1,218 kWh against a predicted 1093 kWh (11% over predicted). The best day was September 26th with 56.9 kWh produced. The worst day was September 18th with just 6.0 kWh produced.   In September we had 25 'Green Days', where we exported more than we imported, our best yet. September was also a 'Green Month' exporting 742 kWh to the grid, against 432 kWh drawn from the grid.   Cheers, Jason.
    • Hi Arnold, welcome to the forums.   With your Fronius Smart Meter, yes you need a ‘Premium’ account, but you just have to create it, it costs nothing. It’s free.   Making a premium account gives you a lot of very useful extra features.   Cheers,  Jason.  
    • Hi, This is Arnold from Sydney West.... We just recently installed a 6.6 KW / 20 panels PV system in our house...the install was not  without hiccups but eventually we get there -- issues were rectified... We got Fronius Inverter + Q-cell panels, i also had a smart meter installed but i did not know that you need subscription to be able to use its other important monitoring features .... Yeah, i agree 100% that one need to do his research, understand the basics of PV system at least....and most importantly - research the PV system installer before committing... Thank you for this opportunity to be part of this forum... Cheers Arnold