Smart Meter Installation - to “Net Solar Metering”

I was wondering if I should have a Power company ( in my case Origin ) smart meter installed 

We have a small problem - I have a dog and the meter readers will only come into our gated yard if the dog is locked away to read the meter 

If I was to have one installed they can read my power usage from outside at any time 

Advice needed

*  I’m not sure if the power company  charges for this meter to be installed 

* Can I use it to check my own power consumption 

* Is it a better system than the current manual reading way 

* And is it secure - just saying “ can it be hacked “ 

Many thanks in advance 

I thought that more information is needed 

When the first solar system was installed about 15 years ago the analogue spinning wheel meter was replaced with a digital display meter 

But the digital display meter still needs to be read manually 

I have found and just read some information about the smart meters 

Here - https://www.aer.gov.au/consumers/my-energy-service/smart-meters 

I’m not sure if my current digital meter allows me to allocate use of solar power for household use - I have the inverter set to owner use and export the rest - but not sure if that is actually happening 

I have read that the new smart meter can be programmed to do that ? 

Here is a very short case study 

https://www.aer.gov.au/system/files/Case Study Smart Meter Matthew and Declans story.pdf

It would be a newer, more modern meter that would be installed.

When I had our system installed, before it was allowed to be turned on I had to have a new meter put in. The old one was a digital Time-of-use one.

Origin put the new one in, at a cost of $45.

The new one is read remotely online, no need for a meter reader to come around.

On the Origin website, with the new smart meters you can see your daily usage, and your daily feed-in. They’re well worth having, especially at the very low cost that Origin charges for the installation.

Cheers,

Jason.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 23/01/2021 at 1:03 AM, Full Range said:

I thought that more information is needed 

When the first solar system was installed about 15 years ago the analogue spinning wheel meter was replaced with a digital display meter 

But the digital display meter still needs to be read manually 

I have found and just read some information about the smart meters 

Here - https://www.aer.gov.au/consumers/my-energy-service/smart-meters 

I’m not sure if my current digital meter allows me to allocate use of solar power for household use - I have the inverter set to owner use and export the rest - but not sure if that is actually happening 

I have read that the new smart meter can be programmed to do that ? 

Here is a very short case study 

https://www.aer.gov.au/system/files/Case Study Smart Meter Matthew and Declans story.pdf

As far as I know, a smart meter allows an energy retailer to remotely switch off your home if you haven't paid your bills.
I've also heard that they count too well. If an analogue meter counts 10 kWh, a smart meter counts 13 kWh. I guess it's more accurate electricity metering. And it's more costly for the customer.

On 23/01/2021 at 12:20 PM, koputai said:

It would be a newer, more modern meter that would be installed.

When I had our system installed, before it was allowed to be turned on I had to have a new meter put in. The old one was a digital Time-of-use one.

Origin put the new one in, at a cost of $45.

The new one is read remotely online, no need for a meter reader to come around.

On the Origin website, with the new smart meters you can see your daily usage, and your daily feed-in. They’re well worth having, especially at the very low cost that Origin charges for the installation.

Cheers,

Jason.

That's why they don't charge high installation fees. They just find this smart meter more profitable.